Monday, April 7, 2008

March Net Worth

Egads, it's more than a week into April already! Well, better late than never.

$29,446- almost thirty but not quite. I had a slight rebound, mostly due to the market. But it's still behind the December high point. That's okay, I'm more obsessed with the savings account, which got a boost because I saved one of my freelance paychecks. I was torn between bumping up our savings account or opening up an individual 401k, and decided on the cushion. I'm still going to check out the individual 401k plans, and I'll get back to you on what I find.

I would just like to make one last comment on this whole net worth thing. I still find it weird that I post my net worth, despite the fact that the voyeur in me enjoys reading other posts on it. Which is why, I guess, I do it to begin with. I kind of have fun figuring it out every month. But back to my one last comment.

I looked on the comparison report tab of the NetworthIQ program, and folks, my net worth is sad. And how do I feel about this? Okay, really. So people my age have, on average, hundreds of thousands of dollars more in net worth. But then, that's the funny thing about doing net worth calculations every month. In the end, it's all relative. Even though it's a numbers game, it's also about your own life, and your own progress bars. So even though my peers in age, income, zip code, etc. squash my little net worth bar, I'm cool with that.

5 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I'm also a big fan of tracking my own net worth and watching others....it's one of my favorite things about pf blogs!

Ms. M&P said...

Sometimes i surprise myself with how much info i put on my blog about my net worth and finances too, but i feel like it's fair since i love reading it about others. people don't talk about this stuff enough and i think that's why there are so many pf blogs.

as far as comparing net worths; i'm pretty sure networth iq is skewed compared to the general population. just sayin... also, i agree with you about comparing your net worth to others. i like to meet my own goals since i'm really the only one who can measure how i'm doing.

Anonymous said...

I love checking out the net worth of other bloggers. I try not to compare myself, I just do the best I can with what I earn :)

PiggyBankBlues said...

sd- me too! i look at everyone's :)

m&p- yeah, lots of times i'm typing and like i can't believe i'm telling people this...

nms- it's a good way to look at things, b/c doing the best you can is really all you can do!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better... for my age (23) and income, we should have about $20,000 net worth. Our net worth is currently negative, thanks to the mortgage, but we own almost half of our home's value.

We'll catch up in the end, when our friends are still renting and we've paid off the mortgage. :-)

Keep it up, and remember that net worth is entirely relative to your situation!