Friday, October 31, 2008

Tracking November's Grocery Spending

I just finished renovating our monthly budget, and under Groceries I have $400 per month (covers both M and I). I am going to hazard a guess and say that this is a nice blend of wishful thinking and total denial.

Since New Year's resolutions are right around the corner, I figured I might as well find out. So for the month of November I'm going to save all grocery/bodega/food co-op receipts and see what the final tally is. I figure that we should be able to eat in on $100 a week, so one of the interesting things about going through the receipts will be finding out what the budget breakers are. If I was a betting budgeter I'd place money on it being my obsessive purchase of blocks of cheese...

8 comments:

Jay said...

$100 in groceries for two people? That's not much. My partner and I don't eat extravagantly, but we struggle to stay under $200 per week.

I thought the new Trader Joe's on Court Street would bring our grocery bill down, but so far it's just meant that I've bought cakes and frozen stuff that I never bought before, that add up to a lot of money.

They say the secret is to write out a menu for the week and then to put together a list. Somehow I don't think I'll ever have the discipline to do that....

PiggyBankBlues said...

jay--
i agree it's not much, which is why i'm suspect that i actually spend so little. i probably hit more the mark where you are.

i spend way more money at trader joes because i just want to try everything! writing a menu out definitely is popular, but i too lack the forethought to do anything beyond- i'll eat chicken once, pork once, seafood once, pasta once...

donald said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty

http://www.my-foreclosures.infof

donald said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dawn said...

Where you been?
Are you coming back?
I just found your blog and would like to read some new stuff ...
dawn
http://iowahippiechick.today.com/

PiggyBankBlues said...

yes, i'm coming back, i had a baby in november and have been too sleep deprived to blog, but the blogging bug is biting so i should be up and running soon!

Wireworks said...

Great post! Very informative and helpful… I can see that you put a lot of hard work on your blog, I'm sure I'd visit here more often. Maybe, you want to come by my site too. It's mainly about Do it Yourself Credit Repair . I'm sure you'd find it useful. thanks!