Monday, September 10, 2007

Read a Book for Free


One of my favorite things to do is read. I read when I go to bed, when I wake up, when I ride the subway, during breakfast, while waiting on line at the love-to-hate-to-love Park Slope Food Co-Op, I just love reading and that's that. Unfortunately, I also love buying books.

My favorite way to avoid the bank-breaking trip to my local bookstore is to walk a little bit farther up to the park and go to the Brooklyn Public Library. I'll read a review in The New Yorker or the Sunday Times Book Review, then I'll go to the Brooklyn Public Library's online catalog and look up the book I'm now dying to read. I'll put a book request in, via the barcode and PIN on my library card, and have it sent to my nearest branch. Then the library sends out a letter when the book arrives and I have 14 days to pick it up. You can also do it with the New York Public Library's catalog.

I read mostly fiction, but it's a great way to look for books on personal finance as well. I read the reviews on Amazon, then put a request in at the library. All my binging at the bookstore is now done at the library- a little lighter on both my bank account and bookshelves.

    photo by thomas hawk from flickr

1 comment:

Mrs. Micah said...

I do that too. Sometimes I'll save the trip until a number of my books have come in (saves gas). I love being able to look them up and just order them to the closest place.

On the downside, I'm spoiled by having an awesome system and when I periodically can't get a book I find it really frustrating. :-p