Thursday, November 1, 2007

October Net Worth

I was resistant to posting my net worth, not for reasons of privacy (or lack thereof), but because I thought it would be too depressing. Then I realized, what they hey, everybody else is doing it! And now I kind of like it. I like that I have a little reminder once a month to track my progress. So I bring you October's net worth to the tune of $29,012.

But here's the sad part, I only started saving six years ago. Before that I was pissing away my money on food and fun and cleaning up a shattered credit score. For the first two years I slowly increased my monthly contributions until I was able to contribute the $4,000 maximum. All of my retirement savings are wrapped up in a Roth IRA because I've never worked in a place that offered 401Ks and matching contributions and paid vacations. Ah, the good life. I am soooo jealous of your matching contributions! I would guess that most bartenders and wait staffers have no clue that such a thing exists. Not only do employers pay you, they help you save money too. Weird.

I think that by the end of the year I'll hit thirty grand, woo hoo! A note about my calculations. I'm admittedly lazy and so there's some stock that isn't listed, which is why it's stuck at $3,000. Also, it is standard to put the value of your home's equity into a net worth equation. I left it out because it would dramatically skew my net worth and give me a false sense of savings. Also, while M and I save together, I only included my own retirement savings, stocks, and land. Oh yeah. The land. That was a very, um, irrational late night purchase on eBay years back. It's a piece of desert in Arizona. According to google earth it looks pretty. Not that I've ever been there... And you all thought I was financially astute!

3 comments:

SavingDiva said...

I love that you have a piece of land that you purchased on eBay! :)

HS @ Our Debt Blog said...

Never thought about pulling my net worth...

PiggyBankBlues said...

diva-oh, yes, eBay is my late night companion with itchy bidding fingers. after that purchase i put a spending cap on my eBay lose-my-mind moments.

o/d- i like the full picture net worth gives you. it's pretty easy to set up and would probably be helpful as you try to dig your way out of debt.